Living in Del Mar in San Diego

Living in Del Mar in San Diego

Next up on our tour of San Diego is the beautiful neighborhood of Del Mar! Del Mar is a rather small area, totaling 2.1 sq. miles and has a population of only 3,347 people. You’ll quickly see that although it might be a small neighborhood, Del Mar makes up for it with beautiful beaches and lots to do!

Our first stop today is Del Mar Beach. It can get busy in this area during the summer because it is such a great beach to walk, run, surf, and hang out at! You can also grab a bite to eat and still enjoy the view at some of our favorites, Poseidon Restaurant or Jake’s Del Mar. Del Mar Dog Beach is another awesome spot in Del Mar. It’s just about a mile north of the main Del Mar Beach and is a great spot to take your dog for some sun and sand all year round. Check out more information about Dog Beach here.

The next stop on our tour is Seagrove Park in Del Mar. This beautiful park is tucked away between palm trees and ocean views, making it the perfect location for private events. In fact, you can rent the space for your own special event! For more information about Seagrove Park, click here. The park also sits right in front of the Pacific Surfliner train tracks. The Surfliner transports passengers all the way from downtown San Diego up to San Luis Obispo in Central California. It is a great public transportation system that many San Diegans use to commute to and from the Los Angeles area.

Next on our list is the beautiful Del Mar Village. One of the great things about Del Mar Village is its central location. The neighborhood of Del Mar is located on the central coast of San Diego County and is only about 20 minutes North from downtown and 20 minutes south of Carlsbad as well. This area is very walkable and full of great shops, restaurants, and bars to enjoy! You’ll also want to check out the view from the brand new Del Mar Civic Center!

Of course, it wouldn’t be a day with Courtney without a stop for a sweet snack! Next on our tour of Del Mar is Stratford Court Café for coffee and a cinnamon roll. (Got to keep Courtney happy!)

Perhaps, one of the most famous attractions in Del Mar is the Del Mar Race Track. There are now two racing seasons, one in the summer that starts after the County Fair and the other in late November. After Hollywood Park closed in Los Angeles they moved its race season down to San Diego and added a fall meet. Click here to get the complete 2020 Race Season schedule. The Del Mar Race Track also hosts major events such as The San Diego County Fair, KAABOO Del Mar, and many more special events year round.

We finished up our tour of Del Mar in true San Diego fashion, at Roberto’s Del Mar to grab a California burrito!

We hope you enjoyed our tour of Del Mar! Did we convince you to make the move here? If you are curious about moving to Del Mar or another neighborhood in San Diego County, give me a call anytime! (858) 737-5255

Top 10 Reasons to Live in San Diego

Top 10 Reasons to Live in San Diego

Today on Off The 56, Courtney Solis and I rank our top ten reasons to live in San Diego. We may be a little biased – we could go on and on about why it’s the best city! But we’ve narrowed it down to just the ten best reasons you should live in San Diego:

1. Weather

This might be the most obvious reason why people love San Diego- the weather. The weather here is very consistent, with the average temperature around 75 degrees year-round. The warmest months are September and October, where temperatures can increase about to the low 90’s. It is seldom humid, so it is never unbearably hot.

2. Family Friendly

San Diego County is very family friendly! In fact, we are located close to some of the top-rated family activities in the country. Including LEGOLAND, The San Diego Zoo, Belmont Park, The San Diego Safari Park, SeaWorld San Diego, Disneyland, and much more!

3. Schools

San Diego has some of the best public schools in California! We have eight school districts ranked in the top fifty in all of California, according to Niche.com! Although there are also charter schools and private schools, we have great public options to take advantage of no matter where you live in San Diego. In fact, the five best school districts are spread out across the county! They are San Dieguito Union, Poway Unified, Coronado Unified, Carlsbad Unified, and San Marcos Unified

4. Traffic

When compared to other areas of California such as Los Angeles, or even the East Coast as Courtney mentions, San Diego traffic is significantly less congested. Although we do have traffic, it is fairly predictable during morning and afternoon rush hour, so it is somewhat avoidable. Our roadways are also constantly being updated and widened to make the best use of the space we have.

5. Location

San Diego is in an ideal location! (And we aren’t just saying that!) If you are someone who likes to get out and about, this is the city for you! San Diego is about a thirty minute drive from Mexico, two hours from Los Angeles, two and a half hours from the desert, and only five hours from Las Vegas. You can hop in your car and go just about anywhere!

6. Outdoor Activities

If you’ve spent any time in San Diego already, you’ve probably noticed how active people are. Thanks to our awesome year-round weather, people are constantly outside doing something. There are numerous places to go hiking, biking, surfing, swimming, golfing, and even enjoy some Canicross! And the best part is, you’re not limited to doing these activities just during the summer months. You can enjoy them year round

7. Job Market

San Diego is home to several large companies that provide a lot of jobs for our community, including Qualcomm, Intuit, and HP. We are also a great city to launch your small business! According to the United States Chamber of Commerce, San Diego is the fourth best place to launch a startup in the U.S! How cool is that

8. Food

We have a lot of locally owned restaurants as well as some large restaurant groups that always seem to be opening the next best eatery. Mexican and seafood is probably what we’re known for in San Diego, but you can find almost any cuisine you like thanks to sites like Eater and Yelp. And we often get the trendy food concepts coming down from LA and San Francisco. You can see all the food and drink establishments we’ve checked out on Off the 56 by clicking here

9. Beaches

This one should just go without saying. Our beaches are some of the best in the country, and for good reason! There are beaches for every kind of beach-goer including surfing beaches, beaches with parks for kids, dog beaches, and even a nudist beach. Yes, we’re serious about that last one – it’s called Black’s Beach!

10. Breweries

San Diego has over one hundred craft breweries! This puts us in the top three of the United States! Breweries are very popular here with many offering food trucks, live music, and even kid-friendly areas for the whole family to enjoy (even the four-legged family members). Stay tuned for a San Diego Brewery Tour from Off The 56!

Did our top ten reasons to live in San Diego convince you to make the move? Give me a call at (858) 737-5255 to get started! I would love to help you find your new home here in sunny San Diego!

The Florence in Sabre Springs

The Florence in Sabre Springs

Today on Off The 56, I met with Nick Sanderson who is one of the owners of The Florence in Sabre Springs. Not only did I tour the beautiful new restaurant, I learned about the distinctive history behind the property as well.

This unique restaurant takes its inspiration from a remarkable woman, Florence Chadwick. Chadwick was born in San Diego and actually owned the land that The Florence sits on today. In 1950, she became the first women to swim the English Channel both ways. And in 1952, she swam from the California Coast to Catalina Island. She was an inspiration then and continues to inspire today as her legacy lives on through her namesake restaurant. You’ll find her photographs, trophies, and even the swimsuit she swam the English Channel in throughout the restaurant!

The menu also takes inspiration from Florence Chadwick. Sanderson told me that the restaurant serves a nostalgic 1950’s inspired menu alongside a few dishes that draw culinary inspiration from her global travels during her lifetime. Chadwick spent time in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, England, and the California Coast. Sanderson said that one of the most popular dishes on the brunch menu is the Moroccan Baked Eggs! The Florence also has classic weeknight specials, including Beef Pot Pie, Gumbo, and Fried Chicken with all the fixins! Click here to browse all of their menu items.

The Florence also hosts weddings and other events! There is a regulation-size Bocce Ball court, boathouse seating, a lounge area with fire pits, and the dining area, which can accommodate up to 500 guests. Interested in hosting your next event at The Florence? Contact them here.

On the last Sunday of every month, The Florence hosts themed events that include special dishes, live music, games, and more! During our visit today, their Ohana Fest was in full swing! Nick tells us that Ohana, meaning family, is the basis of their mission at The Florence. I could sure feel the family vibe through the beautiful live music, delicious food, drinks, and all the special touches The Florence has to offer!

I hope you get the chance to check out The Florence soon! They are open for diner Monday through Saturday and brunch all week long. They also have a special happy hour menu!

And as always, if you or someone you know is looking to move to this area, give me a call. I would be happy to find you the perfect home in North County San Diego. (858) 900-1797

Living in Del Sur & 4S Ranch

Living in Del Sur & 4S Ranch

Today on Off the 56, Courtney Solis and I are taking you along for a tour of the Del Sur and 4S Ranch neighborhoods of North County San Diego. Del Sur and 4S Ranch are full of awesome parks, eateries, shopping centers, and much more! Join us on our tour today and prepare to fall in love with yet another part of San Diego.

We begin our tour with a stop at 4S Ranch Sports Park. This 25-acre community park is located in the heart of 4S Ranch, between Stone Ranch Elementary and Oak Valley Middle School. The park is home to soccer and baseball fields, tennis courts, a roller-hockey rink, playgrounds, a community pool, and so much more! If you have children, you may find yourself at this park quite a bit as organized sports are usually played every weekend at 4S Ranch Sports Park.

Next, we continue our donut theme fDrom our last neighborhood tour with a stop at Donut Touch Bakery & Café in 4S Ranch. Donut Touch is known for their soft, fluffy glazed donuts and variety of available flavors. They sure hit the spot for Courtney and I!

After a little sugar, we hit the road to Pioneer Park. This is an amazing park, however, it’s private and available only to members of the neighborhood. Which is all the more reason to consider making a move to this amazing community! Pioneer Park is the perfect place to host a birthday party, BBQ, or just spend a day enjoying the weather. Besides the gazebos, grassy hills, and play areas, one unique feature of this park is the large splash pad. It’s an awesome way for kids to cool off on a sunny San Diego day!

Next, we check out the Village Green Park in Del Sur. Del Sur is another great neighborhood with awesome amenities! In fact, there are eleven pools and fourteen parks located within this community! Del Sur was designed to accommodate many residents, as there are condominiums, apartments, duplexes, single-family homes, and even luxury estates all located within the same community. And similar to 4S Ranch, there’s lots of green spaces, walking trails, and gorgeous views of the surrounding canyons. The community also hosts summer movie nights, seasonal festivals, and more for residents to enjoy!

The last stop on our tour is the Del Sur Town Center. This shopping center is full of great places to shop and eat, with San Diego favorites such as Board & Brew, Ponce’s Mexican Restaurant, and Frost Gelato Shoppe just to name a few. They also have a Target! This is a great shopping center to grab a bite to eat, meet friends, or get some errands done without having to drive too far from home. If you haven’t already seen my interview with the owner of Ponce’s in Del Sur, check it out here.

I hope you enjoyed our tour of Del Sur and 4S Ranch today! We had a great time exploring this area of North County San Diego with you. If you are thinking of making a move to Del Sur, 4S Ranch, or another area of San Diego, please reach out anytime! I’d love to help you find the perfect home.

Living in Carmel Valley San Diego

Living in Carmel Valley San Diego

Today on Off the 56 Courtney Solis and I are taking you on a tour of the awesome Carmel Valley, San Diego neighborhood. Carmel Valley is full of family-friendly parks, awesome restaurants and shopping, and award-winning schools – and it’s just five miles to the coast! Does it get any better than that?!

We began our tour at the Western end of the Peñasquitos Preserve. There’s a trail that runs along the 56 freeway which you can follow all the way to the ocean. It starts at the 15 freeway and you can bike, walk, horseback ride, and hike down to Torrey Pines Preserve. This is a great trail that many locals love to take advantage of and you’ll often see people enjoying the trail at all hours of the day!

From there, Courtney and I headed to Pacific Highlands Ranch, the newer section of Carmel Valley. Many of the homes were built in the last five to seven years (2012 and later) with some still being built today! The median home price in Carmel Valley is about $1,300,000 for a single family home. Townhomes and condos are more affordable, with townhomes starting at around $650,000. If you’re in the market for a new home, reach out to me – I’d love to talk to you about your options.

The local schools are one of the main reasons people choose to move to Carmel Valley. This community is home to some of the best schools in the state! In fact, Canyon Crest Academy located right here in Pacific Highlands Ranch, Torrey Pines High School, Pacific Trails Middle School and Carmel Valley Middle School are all ranked in the Top 30 on the Niche.com list of the Best Public Schools in California. Many of the local schools in Carmel Valley are known for the strength of their S.T.E.M. Education. S.T.E.M. stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

Next, we visited the Pacific Highlands Ranch Community Park in Pacific Highlands Ranch. This park is fairly new and has brought some much needed recreation space to the community. The park features playgrounds for kids, a bike track, a large open field, basketball courts, and a skateboard park with a halfpipe! This park truly has something for everyone.

Our tour of Carmel Valley made us work up an appetite so we stopped at local favorite doughnut shop, Sidecar Doughnuts and Coffee, in the Del Mar Highlands shopping center. If you’ve never been, be sure to put it on your list – trust me, they have some of the best doughnuts you’ve ever tasted! Click here to get the address and see all of the Sidecar Doughnuts locations in Southern California.

After fueling up, Courtney and I stopped at the newly opened One Paseo. One Paseo has a host of new restaurants and shops worth checking out like International Smoke (opened by basketball player Stephen Curry’s wife, Ayesha!) Salt & Straw, Pigment, Urban Beach House, Blue Bottle Coffee, and so much more! There’s even a Susie Cakes at One Paseo – that’s where I got my wedding cake from! Although there aren’t any specific kid-designated areas, there’s plenty of open space to sit and relax throughout the shopping center. Click here to see a full list of the shopping and dining options at One Paseo.

We conclude our tour with – of course – a trip to the beach! We stopped by Torrey Pines Beach, which we’ve visited before on Off the 56. One of Carmel Valley’s best features is definitely its location. Centrally located, it’s only about five minutes from Torrey Pines State Beach and just about twenty-five minutes from anywhere in San Diego County. Whether you head to Downtown San Diego often, fly frequently, or work out of Carlsbad, Carmel Valley is the perfect place to call home!

I hope you enjoyed our tour of Carmel Valley! I know we did! If you want to pick up the California Explorer Pass Courtney mentioned in the video, click here.

And again, if you’re thinking of making a move to Carmel Valley, don’t hesitate to reach out – I would love to help you find the perfect home!

Living in Rancho Penasquitos

Living in Rancho Penasquitos

As many of you know I live Off the 56 in the Rancho Peñasquitos neighborhood of San Diego. I thought we’d do something a little bit different today and go on a neighborhood tour to show you what life is like in this great community. With me is my neighbor and friend, Courtney Solis. Join us as we take you through our neck of the woods and show you all the best that Rancho Peñasquitos has to offer!

We begin our day at the Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve. This is a beautiful, 4,000 acre preserve that is open to the public to enjoy hiking, biking, and even horseback riding on the trails! A lot of the trails in Peñasquitos Canyon are fairly flat, which makes it a great place for all skill levels to get some exercise. If you’ve been a regular viewer of Off the 56, you’ll remember this is the same canyon where I hung out with Canicross San Diego! So whether you’re looking for an easy family hike or something more challenging, you’ll want to check out Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve which is right in our own backyard.

Next we stopped by Peñasquitos Park, which is right across the street from Park Village Elementary School. As Courtney tells us, this is one of the many elementary schools in the area ranked in the fifty best schools in California! Schools in Rancho Peñasquitos are part of the award-winning Poway Unified School District. If you’re looking to enroll your kids in a great public school district, Rancho Peñasquitos might be a great fit for your family!

After enjoying our hike and visit to Peñasquitos Park, Courtney and I headed to a popular spot in the area, Andell’s Bakery. Andell’s is just around the corner from Bad Ass Coffee, which I visited on my Off the 56 coffee shop tour. Andell’s is an Asian-Pacific Bakery and Kitchen. As Courtney told us on the video, one of the most popular desserts on the menu is the Ube Londres Cake. Unfortunately, as we found out, Andell’s is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays so we weren’t able to try the purple cake for ourselves. We’ll be back another time for sure!

Next on our tour, we visited the neighborhood where the first Paranormal Activity movie was shot on Bavarian Drive. As a Realtor, it’s pretty cool to have a famous house in the neighborhood!

But the Paranormal Activity house isn’t the only famous house in Rancho Peñasquitos. We also checked out Christmas Card Lane, which isn’t as impressive in the summer, but turns into a magical place during the holidays! Courtney and I both highly recommend visiting Christmas Card Lane during December. All the homes on the street light up and the community of Rancho Peñasquitos truly comes together to celebrate Christmas.

After exploring Christmas Card Lane, Courtney and I headed to Hilltop Community Park. Rancho Peñasquitos has lots of great parks throughout the area. Besides Hilltop Park, there’s also Torrey Meadows Park and Black Mountain Open Space Park. But at Hilltop Park, you’ll enjoy amazing views of the ocean, great playground equipment, and plenty of open space for the kids to run around in. If you have young kids, you will love living in Rancho Peñasquitos.

For the last stop of the tour, we headed to one of my favorite local restaurants, Knotty Barrel. Home to great food, locally brewed beers, and an awesome outdoor dining space. If you haven’t checked out my latest visit to Knotty Barrel on Off the 56, click here to watch my interview with the owner.

I hope you enjoyed our day out and about in Rancho Peñasquitos! What was your favorite part of our tour? Let us know in the comments below.

And if you are thinking of making a move to Rancho Peñasquitos, don’t hesitate to reach out – I’d be happy to help you find the perfect home.

Enter your email to get updates straight to your inbox.

Thank you! You have successfully subscribed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Cart Item Removed. Undo
  • No products in the cart.