Today on Off The 56, we’re going to be answering some questions we’ve gotten on our YouTube channel! And if you haven’t checked out our videos, click here to check it out!
- How much do you need to make to live in San Diego?
This is a great question! To live comfortably, $50,000/ year would be a great place to start. However, this all depends on where you want to live and how many people are in your household.
2. Do you need air conditioning in San Diego?
Air conditioning isn’t a must-have in San Diego! San Diego actually has four micro-climates: coastal, inland valleys, mountains, and desert. So, if you live by the coast, you likely won’t miss air conditioning. However, if you live inland, you will appreciate your AC during the summer months.
3. Do you need a car in San Diego?
We agree that you do need a car in San Diego! Unless you live and work in downtown, you will need a car to get around as our public transportation system isn’t robust.
4. How is the traffic?
Since San Diego is such a freeway-centric city, there is some traffic. However, it’s not nearly as bad as other major cities like Los Angeles or Boston. We have the normal morning and evening rush hour with people going to school and work, but the rest of the day is not too bad.
5. Are the people in San Diego friendly?
Yes! We’ve both had great experiences with the people in San Diego. We definitely think the people here are friendlier than in some others places we’ve lived.
6. I’ve heard that San Diego has some of the best beer and best healthy food? Is that true?
We would definitely agree with this! San Diego has a great craft beer scene! People here especially love their IPAs. In general, there are many wonderful breweries and beer gardens located all over the county for you to enjoy. San Diego also has some great healthy food options.
7. Can you do a video about the job market and how it compares with other places in the nation?
We’re planning on doing a video on this topic next. Stay tuned!
8. Thoughts on San Marcos vs. Oceanside?
Oceanside is one of the most affordable beach communities in all of San Diego! San Marcos is the more family-friendly of the two, with many award-winning schools. It’s also still fairly affordable.
9. Do you have a video for single people living close to the beach on a budget?
Living by the beach on a budget can be tough, but if you keep your eyes open you may be able to find an affordable place in Pacific Beach or Oceanside, like we mentioned. We’re planning on making a video on this topic in the future also.
10. Can you make a video on ‘the train’ you’re referring to? Where does it go and how much does it cost?
The train we’re usually referring to is either the Coaster or the Surfliner. Both trains travel from San Diego to San Luis Obispo with stops along the way in Orange County and Los Angeles. For more information and current pricing, click here.
11. Which of these is better for a family of three: La Jolla Village or Carmel Valley?
Both of these neighborhoods are great! In our opinion, Carmel Valley is probably the more family-friendly area. It’s centrally located and has great parks and activities for the whole family. La Jolla Village is close to UCSD so while you do have families living there, you also have a much younger demographic of students and working professionals. If you’re working at or near UCSD, commuting from Carmel Valley is not bad.
12. Why do you guys look so alike?
Yes, this was an actual question! We’re not related, so we don’t know how to answer that. Just coincidence.
13. What do you guys do for a living?
We work in real estate and help people buy and sell homes in San Diego! If you are in need of a Realtor in San Diego, reach out to us!
14. Why compare San Diego to San Francisco?
We did this video because we have a lot of people moving down to San Diego from the Bay Area and thought it would be helpful! The cost of living is comparable (San Diego is one of the most expensive metropolitan areas in California) which is why we chose to feature San Francisco vs. San Diego on our channel.
15. I am moving to San Diego in 3 weeks and I’m beyond excited!! Thank you for the great videos and tips!
This is not a question, but we wanted to show some positivity! Thank you for the comment Griffin!
16. We would love to see a video with tips from moving to San Diego from out of state!
We’ve touched on this in previous videos, but we will be sure to make a video specifically about moving from out of state soon! Also, if you are moving here from out of state, reach out to us to get a free copy of our San Diego relocation guide!
17. You guys need to stop looking at each other while speaking to the audience.
Thanks for the comment! We’ll work on this, but we do genuinely like each other and enjoy our conversations!
18. The cost of living in San Diego video was useless and didn’t breakdown anything.
Well, thanks for watching! We appreciate the feedback.
19. How are the bugs? No one mentions bugs!
Bugs aren’t a big deal in San Diego. There are your typical small spiders, flies, and ants, but nothing you can’t handle. You can easily leave your doors and windows open at home with no problems!
20. Courtney, will you please adopt me?
We thought this would just be a fun question to end on! Thanks for the laugh!
Thanks for stopping by! Remember, if you are thinking of making the move to San Diego, contact us anytime!